What is a bioplastic?
The word "bioplastic" can refer to:
● a biosourced (also called biobased) plastic, which is derived from a renewable resource (particularly a plant material) > this was used for our new Oriculi,
● a biodegradable plastic that will break down into substances that are harmless for the environment at the end of its life.
At present, there are:
- bioplastics that are 1 to 100% biobased, BUT NOT biodegradable,
- bioplastics that are made from fossil fuels BUT ARE biodegradable,
- bioplastics that are partly biobased and partly made from fossil fuels AND biodegradable,
- bioplastics that are 100% percent derived from renewable resources AND biodegradable.